@djw_fashion

Wednesday 31 December 2014

Egon Schiele: The Radical Nude Exhibition


Yesterday, I had the pleasure of seeing the Egon Schiele: The Radical Nude exhibition at the Courtauld gallery.
It is rare for me to get the chance to go to an exhibition of late, but one things for sure, It will be my new years resolution to change that. 

I have admired the work of Schiele since I was at De Monfort Art School, he was a central figure of Austrian Expressionism. His erotic and frank depiction of the human form has always intrigued me.
I am most drawn to the artists self portraits and nude drawings of 1910.
Bold charcoal outlines convey the human form, often heightened with the use of obscure watercolour tones. 


These drawings have the power to shock and unsettle especially due to the unfamiliar poses and choice of models. I wonder what impact this had on the Viennese society at the time? As we now know a hundred years on Egon Schiele's legacy has grown in abundance. 

If you get the opportunity to see this exhibition its a must. Get tickets HERE:

Comments Welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...